Monday, April 8, 2013

[android help] Streaming Microphone Audio from Android Device to Server over 3G


I am trying to develop a simple Android application that can record audio from the microphone, then stream that data to a server for playback. The solution needs to run on Gingerbread and later and has to work over 3G (so no wi-fi only methods).


So far I have Googled for sample applications that can get me this functionality and come up empty-handed. Most tutorials assume streaming from the server or PC to a device, this is the opposite of what I am trying to accomplish.


Can anyone give me sample code for an app that records mic audio, streams it to a simple server app, and does it all in a way that minimizes audio gaps, delay, and other audio transmission issues?


Edit-- Things I have tried so far: SIP (stack not enabled on some phones, no free SIP stack for commercial use), AudioRecord (don't know how to compress audio), MediaRecorder (can never seem to connect to the remote port), and straight socket programming (very poor sound quality). I'd love to make any of these methods work... maybe I am missing something. Is there a "best practices" way for Android to server audio streaming? I will post the complete code solution when I solve this problem :-)



.

stackoverflow.comm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Voice on T-Mobile? [General]

Google Voice on T-Mobile? So I recently switched from a GNex on Verizon to a Moto X DE on T-Mobile. I had always used Google Voice for my v...