Monday, April 8, 2013

[android help] Phonegap Android app trigger update programmatically


I am building an Android app that is hosted on a server outside Google Play. I need the app to check for new version and prompt user to update when the app starts.


I built a mechanism to check for new version (the app checks for a file on server and compares version) which is working well. Then I prompt user to update, but if user chooses to proceed with the update, I'm not able to trigger the download and installation of the apk.


I tried simply opening the apk url:



window.open(apkURL);


where the apkURL is the full http link to the .apk file hosted on server.


But it doesn't seem to do anything.


I've been researching but I don't find an answer on how to do this. I found some suggestions using native code, like this post Install Application programmatically on Android but I don't know how to do that from within my Phonegap app. Is this the right way to trigger the update? How can something like this be done from within a Phonegap app?


Thanks!



.

stackoverflow.comm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Voice on T-Mobile? [General]

Google Voice on T-Mobile? So I recently switched from a GNex on Verizon to a Moto X DE on T-Mobile. I had always used Google Voice for my v...