Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Google Music showing pixelated or wrong album art on phone


So I've been transferring all of the music from iTunes library on my Macbook to Google Music on my phone (a rooted T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II running CM10) by using the phone as a USB mass storage device and just dropping the mp3 files into the phone's "media" folder. When I use Google Music, I can see that all of the files are there and I can listen to them all. However, my problem is that, on my phone, Google Music either:

A) displays pixelated album art that has a lot of ugly compression artifacts (all of my album art, with each image being at least 600 x 600 px, has been manually added in iTunes after being downloaded from places like the Album Art Exchange; none of it is downloaded from the iTunes store)...

B) shows completely wrong (the album art for CCR's Cosmo's Factory is replaced with that of CCR's 40th Anniversary Edition Reissues) or slightly "off" album art (by "off," I mean that it's the right art for the album, but the art isn't the same as what I've got in iTunes [for example, on my phone, the album art for Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms has a brown bar along the left side that says "Warner Remasters," while the album art I've got in iTunes doesn't)...

or C) displays the correct, non-pixelated album art (this doesn't happen often at all; maybe one out of every dozen or so albums is like this, and I've got hundreds of albums [for example, The Beatles' Abbey Road and Rubber Soul look great, but the 10+ other albums in their catalogue look awful]).

Now, I've downloaded other music player apps (such as doubleTwist and PlayerPro) and they display all of the album art correctly and clearly. Also, I'd like to note that I have the sync feature for Google Music turned off on my phone, so there's nothing being uploaded to music.google.com, where my library is completely empty. I'm not uploading anything from my Macbook to the Google Music cloud by using the Music Manager. Everything is being done locally, through my phone's USB cord. In the past, whenever I've uploaded music from my Macbook to the Google Music cloud using the Music Manager, the album art would never turn out right. But since there shouldn't be any communication between the Google Music cloud and my phone with the sync turned off, I'm confused as to why my album art is still messed up (although to a lesser degree).

Is there still some sort of communication going on between Google Music app on my phone and the Google Music cloud that would mess with my album art? The only other thing I could think of to do is put the phone in airplane mode and turn Wi-Fi off when I transfer my music...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Okay after removing my music from my phone, uninstalling the Google Music app, adding back my music (to test, I added back several albums from The Beatles' catalogue, Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms, and CCR's Cosmo's Factory), and then reinstalling Google Music app, it seems that all of the albums have the correct art, only they are pixelated. After editing out parts of my original post, my question now is: why does Google Music display album art that is manually added in iTunes so poorly?



.

forum.xda-developers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Voice on T-Mobile? [General]

Google Voice on T-Mobile? So I recently switched from a GNex on Verizon to a Moto X DE on T-Mobile. I had always used Google Voice for my v...