Monday, May 20, 2013

[General] Can a 4G Network Smart Phone Plan Provide Internet Connection to a Desktop PC?


Hi everyone.
I'm not really sure where to ask this question, so I hope you don't mind if I post it here. It has to do with smart phones.

I'll try to keep this brief, but please permit me to include enough detail to get an informed response.

I am shopping for both a smart phone and a carrier. It will most likely be Verizon. I don't know which phone I'd purchase yet.

I visited a local Verizon store, and the salesman told me there is no data usage if I use a smart phone with a wireless router. He said if a smart phone runs off WiFi, it doesn't count towards my data usage.

Is this true?

I have a wireless router connected to my desktop PC to run my wireless printer, and to feed my Google Nexus 7. (So yes, I am a current Android user.)

The salesman said this is different. The wireless router he's talking about is for the 4G network. It would feed up to ten peripherals, including the smart phone.

When he found out I'm using Comcast as my ISP, he said, "It would also feed your desktop PC." He offered to throw the wireless router--which he said would be portable--in with the contract.
This is important to me. Is this true? If I get a smart phone and a contract for 4G service, would it be able to run my desktop PC?

Even more importantly, would the 4G service equal my Comcast service speed, which is 50 mbps (I'm using Comcast's so-called "Burst" plan.)

To me, it doesn't sound right. Could a wireless 4G network equal or surpass a wired connection? If it can…if it DOES…then I'd seriously consider dropping Comcast and going purely with Verizon.

Instead of costing $175 per month for Comcast plus Verizon's monthly fees, it might cost only $100-$100 (depending on the data plan I'd choose).

Or is what he said too good to be true? Thank you for any feedback you care to provide.
Jd



.

forum.xda-developers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Voice on T-Mobile? [General]

Google Voice on T-Mobile? So I recently switched from a GNex on Verizon to a Moto X DE on T-Mobile. I had always used Google Voice for my v...