Tuesday, May 14, 2013

[General] Hands free texting in Android


Hi!

I'm new to Android. Having grown tired of waiting on Sprint to put out a new Windows Phone, I succumbed to the siren song of the HTC One, which has made me pretty happy on the whole. It's a beautiful, powerful phone, and I can now have all of the apps I ever dreamed of-- certainly not the case for Windows Phone. So that's a big plus.

One thing, however, that I am missing a very great deal is the way that Windows Phone handles texting when you have headphones on. To wit: I receive an incoming message. The phone breaks in to my music to inform me of the message and asks me if I'd like it read to me. It then gives me the option of replying to the message, and, if I elect to do so, will take dictation from me and transcribe my reply, read it back to me, and either send it off or give me another stab at it, as I instruct. All of this is 100% hands-free, requiring absolutely no visual or tactile effort on my part. Nor does it require me to launch and keep running a battery-draining app.

I had come to utilize this functionality fairly heavily, so I've kinda been looking for a way to make Android behave this way, but I have failed. Before giving up completely, I thought I'd pose the problem to experienced Android fans and see if there is something that I may be overlooking.

So, is there?

My intent is not to start a religious war on phone platforms, I'm just interested in making my One work in the above manner with regards to texting.

Thank you in advance for any replies.



.

forum.xda-developers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Voice on T-Mobile? [General]

Google Voice on T-Mobile? So I recently switched from a GNex on Verizon to a Moto X DE on T-Mobile. I had always used Google Voice for my v...